Thursday, February 20, 2014

Cycle A Transfiguration

3/2/2014 Confession

Sunday Title:  Transfiguration Sunday
Sermon Title: “Between two Mountains”

Previously:  
Sunday Title:  Transfiguration Sunday
                  Last? Epiphany Sunday
Sermon Title: “Get It?”
Sunday Title: Who You Gonna Believe?
Sermon Title: The Mountain Top

Scripture Cuttings:
Exodus 24:12-18 So Moses set out with his assistant Joshua, and Moses went up into the mountain of God.
Psalm 2 “I have set my king on Zion, my holy hill.” I will tell of the decree of the Lord: He said to me, “You are my son; today I have begotten you.”
2 Peter 1:16-21 For he received honor and glory from God the Father when that voice was conveyed to him by the Majestic Glory, saying, “This is my Son, my Beloved, with whom I am well pleased.” We ourselves heard this voice come from heaven, while we were with him on the holy mountain.
Matthew 17:1-9 …suddenly a bright cloud overshadowed them, and from the cloud a voice said, “This is my Son, the Beloved; with him I am well pleased; listen to him!”

Confession:
All may make the sign of the cross in remembrance of baptism
as the presiding minister begins:
P:  In the Name of the Father, and the Son, + and the Holy Spirit.
C: Amen

P:  Our God is a lover of justice,
  let us draw near with our confession. (pause)
  Lord...
C: we know it is You who give the commandments
  and the law for our instruction,
    yet we interpret for ourselves what is right.
We say we long to hear your voice,
  but we know we would be overcome with fear
    in your presence.
We seek glory without seeing your glory,
  we long for the mountain top
    without bearing your light in the long valley.
Forgive us Lord the sins we know in our heart.
Save us Lord from the sins we hide.
    (pause for reflection and self-examination)

P:  We are blessed that God, the giver of the law, and a lover of justice, is also a God of mercy. Jesus Christ, God’s own beloved, is sent to us. It is for Christ’s sake that our sins are forgiven. We are called by God to listen to Christ, that as men and women moved by the Holy Spirit we may live without fear and be as lamps shining in a dark place. In the name of the Father, and the Son, + and the Holy Spirit.
C: Amen -wjw

P:  The peace of the Lord be with you always!
C: And also with you!

No comments:

Post a Comment