Monday, August 26, 2013

Cycle C Lectionary 23 Proper 18

9/8/2013 Confession

Sunday Title: Follow Sunday
Sermon Title: Please Welcome Pastor Richard Bowen

Previously:
Sunday Title: Choice Sunday
Sermon Title: “How do we get out of this one.”
Sunday Title: Choice & Cost Sunday
Sermon Title: "Can’t afford not to choose?"
Sunday Title: Choice Sunday
Sermon Title: "Who would choose to choose?"

Scripture Cuttings:
Deuteronomy 30:15-20 I have set before you life and death, blessings and curses. Choose life so that you and your descendants may live....
Psalm 1 They are like trees planted by streams of water, bearing fruit in due season.
Philemon 1-21 Refresh my heart in Christ
Luke 14:25-33 So therefore, none of you can become my disciple if you do not give up all your possessions

All may make the sign of the cross in remembrance of baptism
as the presiding minister begins:
P:  In the Name of the Father, and the Son, + and the Holy Spirit.
C: Amen
P:  Let us put down our defenses and be honest with God. (pause)  
  God most high,
C: everyday you set before me, my choices:
  follow you?  <--------------------------> follow me?
All around I see examples:
  the wicked, the sinners, the scornful and how they perish.
Yet I do not take delight in your instructions.
  You give instructions in the commandments,
    in the law,
      in the word and I listen
        without hearing.
Without counting the cost, I let the world teach me,
  and give to you only my leftovers.
Save me Lord from the sins I know in my heart.
Save me Lord from the sins I hide.
(pause for reflection and self-examination)
P:  Living Lord...
C: turn me back to you, forgive me my sins. Amen
P:  Our Lord does live!  The Lord lives to set us free from the burdens we lay on our own backs. Christ Jesus carries all of our sins onto the cross and dies with them there. And he is risen, and in his resurrection we are given new life!  We are baptized into this new life and promised the Holy Spirit so that we may choose to walk again with the God of creation and redemption. In the name of the Father, and the Son, + and the Holy Spirit.
C: Amen -wjw
P:  The peace of the Lord be with you always!
C: And also with you!

No comments:

Post a Comment